Can you recommend a supplement please for grade one esophagitis and a small sliding hiatus hernia? I refuse to take any conventional medication. Thank you.
Esophagitis is usually caused by reflux of stomach acid into the esophagus. Conventional medications decrease stomach acid so it is not so harmful to the esophagus, but the stomach acid kills organisms introduced in food and is the major mechanism to break down proteins.
Many people on long-term acid blockers have amino acid deficiencies after months or years. I recommend the following:
- Try to identify which foods are contributing to the reflux and avoid them–usually it is carbohydrates or meat
- Swallow aloe vera liquid which will coat and soothe the esophagus and stomach
- Try a number of other supplements and decide which ones work for you:
- DGL also coats the heals the stomach
- panacreatic enzymes to help digest food
- Betaine as an acid stimulant (some reflux is caused by inadequate acid production and food sits in the stomach for a longer period of time)
- a homeopathic called Nux vomica helps tighten the sphincter between the esophagus and stomach, thus reducing reflux