You May be Surprised at the Definitions of These Words on Labels
In order to be healthy, we must learn to read labels if you don’t make food from scratch. It is important that we know what certain terms mean, so here we go:
Natural–means very little. Although it can’t include synthetic ingredients (colors, flavors), it can be heavily processed. This includes animals raised with antibiotics and growth hormones, and high fructose corn syrup (corn is natural, isn’t it?).
Fresh—means they are using ‘approved’ waxes or coatings, post harvest approved pesticides, applying mild chlorine or mild acid wash or ionizing radiation.
Organic—100% organic = foods that don’t contain any non-organic ingredients;
Organic—95% organic ingredients and the other 5 % do not contain growth hormones;
Made with organic ingredients—foods with at least 70% organically produced ingredients (up to 30% non-organic)
Good Source of/Contains/Provides—food has at least 10 % of USDA’s recommended daily allowance
High Source Of/Rich In/Excellent Source Of—food that has at least 20% of USDA’s recommended daily allowance.